Sunday, June 10, 2007

I love.............

WidgetBucks - Trend Watch - WidgetBucks.com

Eastcoastlife tagged me with this meme to talk about my favorite food in my country/state. Ok since I lived in Singapore but also was in Philadelphia for 1 year, I will talk about my favourite food from both places.

Singapore:
This is a pretty hard one as Singapore really has so many nice food. But I guess I had to decide on Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee, simply because I realized that this is the dish I will try out the most often wherever I go in Singapore.

A quick brief on this dish, according to wikipedia: “Hokkien mee is served in Malaysia and Singapore and was brought there by immigrants from Fujian Province in southeastern China.”

The version I am talking about is uniquely Singapore, as Hokkien mee from other places like Penang, KL are different. The Singapore version is essential stir fried noodles (rice and egg noodles), in prawn stock, with eggs, prawn, sotong etc. (I am no expert on this dish, I just love to eat it).

Shot using a cam-phone (sorry for poor quality)

I guess different people have different preference with regards to this dish, I like mine simple in the middle, not too dry, not too wet. The stall I happen to frequent most is right in Clementi, it can get really crowded and my record queue was 1 hour! But still, their Hokkien mee is done the way I like.

Philadelphia:
This one is a no brainer, its Philly Cheese Steak from Pat’s. Nuff said, its just good, real good. I walked all the way from my place at 40th and market, to its place at around 9th and Passyunk. That is almost across the entire city.

What exactly is Philly Cheese Steak, in essence it is Cheese, Steak all on a nice hoagie roll (bread). Perhaps with some onions as well. And the cheese, IMO has to be Cheese Whiz, no other cheese will do. The way the cheese whiz just melts and melds into the thinly sliced and fried steak, every bite is simple heavenly (but sinful too). There is so much to what makes up a Philly Cheesesteak, even the kind of hoagie roll used. Heck there is even a specific way to order Philly Cheesesteak. In general, you gotta state the cheese you want, and whether you want it “Wit” onions or “wit-out”. So for me generally, it will be “Whiz, wit”.

Typical Philly Cheese Steak

Ahhh the recipe from Pat’s website
The Original Pat's King of Steaks® Philadelphia Cheese Steak recipe

For all the people who can not get to
South Philadelphia to get the Original.

Here is the recipe for you home chefs.

Serves 4

24oz thin sliced rib eye or eye roll steak

6 table spoons of Soya bean oil

Cheese {we recommend Cheez Whiz®} American or Provolone works fine

4 crusty Italian Rolls

1 large Spanish onion

Optional
sweet green and red peppers sautéed in oil
Mushrooms sautéed in oil

Assembly

Heat an iron skillet or a non stick pan over medium heat
Add 3 table spoons of oil to the pan and sauté the onions to desired doneness
remove the onions
add the remaining oil and sauté the slices of meat quickly on both sides
melt the cheez Whiz® in a double boiler or in the microwave
place 6oz. of the meat into the rolls
add onions, and pour the Cheez Whiz® over top
garnish with hot or fried sweet peppers, mushrooms, ketchup
Put on the theme song to the first Rocky movie and enjoy!


**Copy this**

* Meme Topic : What is your favorite food in your state or country?

Find some info about the food & show delicious pictures of it.

Tag FIVE people. Do if you want to increase traffic to your blog!
(ECL did request ppl from ping.sg)
1) DK
2) Nicole
3) Tstar
4) Hendri

And the only non-pingster
5) Weijia (founder of the fatsunshine club)

You leave their blog and post link and add to the list below.

Mybabybay loves Asam Laksa from Penang, Malaysia
JustMyThoughts loves Penang Char Koay Teow
My Lil Venture loves Laksa Sarawak
Monterssorimum loves Teluk Intan Chee Cheong Fun
Chinnee loves Melaka Wan Tan Mee
PeimunLeah loves Hakka Lei Cha
Hui Sia loves Crispy duck skin from China
Karen loves Pan Mee
Simple American loves Cheese Enchiladas
Nicole Tan loves Char Tau Kueh
velverse loves Otak-Otak
Giddy Tiger loves Dim Sum
may loves Roti Bakar
Selba loves Gado-gado
Chen loves Satay*
eastcoastlife loves Shanghai Buns
arzhou loves hokkien mee / philly cheesesteak

**The End**

2 Comments:

At 8:51 PM, Blogger eastcoastlife said...

Ahhhhh.... the Philly Cheesesteak sounds so sinfully delicious!!!
*wipes drool off*

And thanks so much for the recipe! I'm gonna try that and experience the Philly Cheesesteak Singapore style (use available ingredients in Singapore mah)!

I like Hokkien Mee too. One day you must come to my house and try this yummy Hokkien Mee near it. My homecooked Hokkien Mee also not bad you know! hehehe.....

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger ar zhou said...

ECL: must gimme the addy of that place for hokkien mee!

I am gonna hunt down cheese whiz, once i do that, i will make cheese steak.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker